For the Choux pastry
- 70g plain flour
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- Pinch salt
- 65ml milk
- 50g butter
- 65ml water
- 2 eggs
For the filling
- 200g cream cheese
- 1 tbsp horseradish sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 120g smoked salmon, cut into strips
- 12 small sprigs fresh dill
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7.
- To make the choux pastry, mix the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Gently heat the milk, butter and water in a saucepan so the butter melts but the liquid doesn’t bubble. Once the butter has melted, turn up the heat until the liquid starts to boil. Immediately turn off the heat, tip in the flour mixture and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until a smooth dough is formed.
- Spread the dough over a large dinner plate to cool to hand-hot, then scrape it back into the pan. Using a wooden spoon, beat in the eggs one at a time until you have a smooth, shiny mixture. Spoon into a piping bag with a 1cm hole snipped off or use a 1cm nozzle. Pipe the mixture into the éclair tray then place onto a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, reducing the temperature to 200°C/Gas 6 as soon as the tray goes into the oven.
- Remove from the oven and split the éclairs down the middle with a small serrated knife, then return to the oven for 5 minutes until crisp and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by mixing the cream cheese, horseradish, dill, lemon juice and seasoning in a bowl. Spoon into a piping bag with a 1cm hole snipped off. Once the mini éclairs have cooled completely, pipe the filling into them and top with strips of smoked salmon. Garnish with a small sprig of dill.
Tip: The mini éclair and cream cheese filling can be made a day in advance and kept in the fridge, the clairs in an airtight container.
Anjula Devi’s Mussels with Green Mango and Coconut Milk
Marinated Thai Salmon with Steamed Chilli Veg
Steamed Citrus Fish with Asparagus and Parsley Potatoes
Avocado Prawn Hug
Davina’s Cod and Pesto Parcels
Smoked Fish & Cider Pie
Tom Yum Prawn Noodles
Crisp-skinned Halibut with Pancetta, Potatoes & Blood Orange Salad