- 2 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 80g sultanas
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 sheets ready-made filo pastry
- 20g butter, melted
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease and line the oven tray.
- Combine the fruit, sugar, spices and breadcrumbs in a bowl.
- Mix together the butter and milk. Stack the filo sheets ─ brush each one with the butter mixture as you stack, using about half of the butter mixture in total. Cut the filo stack in half widthways cover one stack with baking parchment and a damp tea towel and set aside.
- Spoon half of the fruit mixture along the centre of the uncovered filo stack roll up to enclose the filling and seal the ends with a little of the butter mixture. Place the strudel seam-side down onto the oven tray and brush all over with a little of the butter mixture.
- Repeat step 4 with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a couple of minutes and dust with icing sugar.