- A little butter, softened, to grease
- 2 large ripe pears, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 2 pieces stem ginger, finely diced
- 2 tbsp stem ginger syrup
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- Generously butter the inside and lid of the cake pan.
- Place half of the pears into a saucepan with the stem ginger, ginger syrup and golden syrup and heat together gently until well mixed. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cream the 175g of butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy then slowly add the beaten egg a little at a time, whisking well between each addition, until it’s all incorporated. Sift together the flour, baking powder and ground ginger then add to the creamed mixture and fold in gently until well mixed. Finally, stir in the remaining pears.
- Spoon the syrup mixture into the base of the cake pan then spoon the sponge mixture evenly over the top and smooth the surface.
- Place the lid on top and put the sealed cake pan on a metal trivet or upturned saucer in a saucepan deep enough to allow its lid to fit snuggly on top.
- Pour boiling water into the saucepan so it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan, cover and steam gently for 1¾ hours. Check the water level halfway through cooking and top it up with boiling water if you need to.
- To test the pudding, carefully remove the cake pan from the saucepan, remove the lid and insert a skewer into the sponge. If it comes out clean, it’s cooked. If not quite cooked, simply pop the lid back on, return to the saucepan and cook for a further 10 minutes then check again.
- Carefully turn the steamed pudding out onto a large, warmed serving plate and serve immediately with custard.
Tip: This pudding is best eaten as soon as it is made.
Mary Berry’s Delicious Plum Crumble
Slow-Cooked Chocolate Orange Sponge Pudding
Delicious Plum Batter Pudding
Slow-Cooked Boozy Mincemeat Sponge Pudding
The Perfect Pannacotta Recipe
Passion Fruit & Orange Curd Pavlova
Lemon & Lavender Meringue Roulade with Blueberries
Dark & White Chocolate Melt-in-the-Middle Puds