For the cake
- Sunflower or vegetable oil, for greasing
- 175g dried chopped dates
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300ml boiling water
- 175g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125g date nectar
- 50g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 small ripe banana
for the sauce
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp Lucy Bee Organic Fair Trade Raw Lucuma Powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease and line the lid of the casserole dish with baking parchment.
- Put the dates into a heatproof bowl with the bicarb and water. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the remaining cake ingredients in a food processor. Add the cooled dates and blend until smooth. Pour into the prepared lid and bake for 30 minutes, or until risen and cooked. Leave to cool.
- Melt the coconut oil and stir in the lucuma powder until well blended. Cut the cake into pieces and serve topped with the sauce, either cold as a cake or warm as a pudding.
Mini Mango & Pineapple Upside-Down Cakes
Decadent Chocolate Tiffin
Pistachio, Orange & Cardamom Mini Loaves
Step-by-Step Mother’s Day Floral Shard Cake
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes