- 2kg (4lb) strawberries, small, firm and just ripe
- 100ml (6tbsp) lemon juice or 250ml (½pt) red currant juice
- 1.75kg (3½lb) sugar, warmed on a baking tray in the oven
- Hull the strawberries, put a handful into a preserving pan and crush them.
- Add the rest of the fruit and the lemon or red currant juice.
- Put in the warmed sugar, heat and stir slowly to draw out the juice and dissolve the sugar.
- Boil quickly until the setting point is reached.
- Skim if necessary and let the jam cool until a skin forms on the surface. Stir gently.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal.