- 15 sheets gelatine
- 1.5kg summer fruits
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 275g caster sugar
- 2 pints water
- 3 tbsp raspberry vinegar
- Soften the gelatine in a bowl of cold water.
- In a large saucepan, combine 1kg of the fruit with the lemon, sugar and water. Bring to the boil, immediately reduce the heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes until the fruit is soft.
- Press the mixture through a sieve over a large bowl to extract all the juice. Discard the pulp.
- Thoroughly drain the softened gelatine, add it to the hot fruit juice and stir until dissolved. Add the vinegar, then leave to cool and thicken slightly.
- Remove any stems from the remaining berries, hull and quarter any strawberries.
- Rinse out a 1.5 litre mould but do not dry it. Pour in 1/3 of the thickened fruit juice and scatter over 1/3 of the prepared fruit. Chill until slightly set.
- Top up the juice and fruit twice more, chilling each time, then chill overnight until firm.
- Turn out the jelly by dipping the mould in a bowl of very hot water. Place a serving plate on top, turn over then shake very gently until you hear the jelly loosen. Decorate with extra berries and serve with cream.