For the roulade
- 175g (6oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 30ml (2 level tablespoons) cocoa, sieved
For the filling
- 300ml (10 fl oz) double cream
- Icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 15″ x 11″ (38cm x 28cm) Baking Tray and line with non-stick baking parchment, pushing it into the corners.
- Melt the chocolate slowly in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Allow to cool slightly.
- Measure the sugar and egg yolks into a bowl and whisk with an electric whisk on a high speed until light and creamy. Add the cooled chocolate and stir until evenly blended.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until stiff, but not dry. Stir a large spoonful of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, mix gently and fold in the remaining egg whites, then the cocoa. Turn into the prepared tray and gently level the surface. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven, place a sheet of non-stick paper on top of the roulade, then put a damp tea towel on top of the paper. Set aside until cold.
- Whip the cream until it just holds its shape. Dust a large piece of non-stick baking parchment with icing sugar, turn the roulade out onto it and peel off the lining paper. Spread with the whipped cream and roll up like a Swiss roll, starting with one of the short edges. Roll tightly to start with and use the paper to help. Don’t worry if it cracks – that is quite normal and part of its charm!
Slow-Cooked Chocolate Orange Sponge Pudding
Delicious Plum Batter Pudding
Slow-Cooked Boozy Mincemeat Sponge Pudding
The Perfect Pannacotta Recipe
Passion Fruit & Orange Curd Pavlova
Lemon & Lavender Meringue Roulade with Blueberries
Dark & White Chocolate Melt-in-the-Middle Puds
The Perfect Cheesecake Recipe