- 175ml white wine vinegar
- 350g soft light brown sugar
- 3.5kg mixed colour tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 6 large red onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 large Bramley cooking apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 150g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 4 pieces stem ginger, chopped
- 2 tbsp onion seeds
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Add the vinegar and sugar to the slow cooker. Switch to HIGH and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir well. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours, or until the mixture is thickened and pulpy.
- Ladle the chutney into the sterilised jars, cool slightly, and add a waxed disc to each. Seal immediately and label.
Tip: Leave the chutney for 1-2 weeks for the flavours to develop. Unopened, it will keep for 6 months in a cool, dark place. Once opened, store in the fridge and eat within 1-2 months.
Cook’s note: Excellent served with hard, mature cheeses, cold meats and poultry. Try a few spoonfuls added to pastry cases when making tarts and flans for an extra zing.