- 175g black treacle
- 150g butter
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 175g plain flour, sifted
- 2 level tsp ground ginger
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 level tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 250g porridge oats
- 1 large egg
- 150ml milk
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and line the individual traybakes.
- Place the treacle, butter and sugar in a pan over a low heat. Heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved, then leave to cool slightly.
- Place the flour, spices and oats in a large mixing bowl. Mix together the egg and milk then stir in the bicarbonate of soda before adding to the dry ingredients. Add the treacle mixture, stir well then pour into the individual traybakes.
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap in baking parchment and store in an airtight tin.
Tip: For an extra kick, add 30g of chopped, preserved stem ginger when you add the treacle mix.