- 1.25kg pork belly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & crushed
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled & crushed
- 2 star anise
- 3 spring onions, white & green separated
- 4 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp runny honey
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, sliced lengthways, to garnish
- 1 red chilli, sliced, to garnish
- Place the pork, garlic, ginger, star anise, spring onions, rice wine or sherry and 3 tbsp soy sauce into a large pan, cover with hot water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 1½ to 2 hours, turning the pork once or twice to ensure even cooking. Once tender, remove from the heat and discard everything except the pork.
- Preheat the oven to 215°C/420°F.
- Remove the skin and a little of the fat from the pork then place on a parchment-lined roasting tray. Mix together the honey and 2 tbsp soy sauce and pour over the pork. Cook in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often, spooning the glaze over until glossy.
- Slice and serve garnished with the sliced spring onions and chilli.
Tip: To make spring onions curly for garnishing, slice and place in a bowl of cold water.
Wendy’s Christmas Eve Barbecued Leg of Lamb
Mary Berry’s Beef and Ale Stew with Horseradish Spiral Dumplings
Joe Wicks’ Sweet Potato Shakshuka
Anjula Devi’s Pulled Lamb with Fiery Mint Chutney
Joe Wicks’ Bad Boy Chilli Con Carne
Yorkshire Pudding Burger
Slow-Cooked Port & Venison Casserole with Oatmeal & Parsley Dumplings
Spicy Meatball Popovers with Lemon & Chive Yoghurt